Tuesday, May 3, 2011

We Are All Better for It

It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday....but I'll take with me the memories...to be my sunshine...

Yes, that is a Boys II Men song...back in my day that was every high school graduating classes' song...

It really is hard to say goodbye. This is the first group of students that we are saying "goodbye" to who started college at the same time that Lee and I started the internship. 4 years ago. So much has happened in 4 years.

I was thinking back to our first spring banquet. I was pregnant with Bella. My belly was barely showing. I was poking it out to make sure that it showed. This year, I stood there with 2 children.

My physical presence at the cafe is barely a fraction of what it was when we first started Chi Alpha. But I have embraced and am living in freedom to be the mom and wife God has called me to be. I love Chi Alpha so much, but it is second to my family. I am thrilled to work at making my home a safe, comforting environment for my kids and my husband. It is not just our house...it is our home. We lived in a few places before moving to our new house, and although it is really old...really old...this is our home. And I am enjoying making it a home for us.

I have such a deep love and respect for the students of chi alpha. So many of them have jobs to put themselves through school. They take over 12 hours of classes, have a ton of homework and assignments, and still invest their lives into others. It is not an easy task to be a leader in Chi Alpha, but it is definitely worth it. And for the international students who come...I think they are the bravest people in the world. Learning in English is hard enough, and for it to not be someone's primary language - oh my word...they are amazing. And many of them don't know anyone when they get here. I honestly don't know how they do it. Totally brave.



My life looks very different than it did 4 years ago...Lee and I often talk about how different we are now after being here. We haven't just invested in the students' lives, they have invested in ours. We're all better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment