Friday, February 11, 2011

Me and My Non-Conversational Self

"If you do all the talking when you pray, how will you ever hear God's answers?" AW Tozer

I don't like to talk a lot. I keep a lot of things to myself. When I was teaching, I would come home, unload my day to Lee in about 15 minutes or less, and then I would officially be done. No more talking after that for like 2 hours.

Now that I'm the only adult in my house for most of the day, that has changed a little. I find myself wanting to talk more when Lee comes home. But by then, he's used up most of his words. Good for me! I can do all the talking that I want.

I've been told that I'm a good listener. It's easier when you don't like to talk a lot! I enjoy listening to people. Sometimes a person with a problem will come to the conclusion on her own because she talked through it herself. Just needed someone to listen.

I also don't like starting conversations. That is one of the most painful, dreaded moments for me! Chi Alpha has helped me with that a whole lot...I mean a whole lot. I would run through a scenario of things to say in my head, and they all sounded stupid. So, I'd just sit in a room like a bump on a log. Now, once I got started in a conversation, it could be fine...but getting it going was the worst. I've always rode on the coat tails of others when it comes to starting a conversation...they can start it, then I will jump in. Once it gets going, I'm good. Until then...

My conversations with God are different. I seem to talk a lot, but I'm not so great at listening. My personal faith is to believe that God is always talking, always communicating with me. I just don't always hear Him clearly, or even at all. Sometimes there are some major distractions in my life that keep me from hearing Him. Sometimes there is a major attitude in my life that is keeping me from hearing Him. I believe in those moments He's still speaking. So, when I do have the time to pray, I need to make sure that my heart is quiet enough to hear Him because I know He's answering me.

No comments:

Post a Comment