Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nurturing

Lately it's been hard being at home. The kids were sick. Lee's had a lot going on at work - getting things ready to finish up the semester and lining things up for the fall. So, last week was just hard.

I saw this on a facebook post, and I've been thinking about it for a little bit now. It's so true.
"During weeks like this one I have to remind myself that the reason I can't go out when I want to, hang with the people I want to, sleep when I want to or even clean when I need to isn't because I don't have a life... It's because I DO. So exhausted. So fulfilled." - Sue Brooks
I have been exhausted. I don't always get to do the things that I want to do when I want to do them. I feel like I don't have a life at times...but that is not true. I do have a life...a wonderful, glorious, beautiful life that I get to spend watching my children grow.

I was just holding Brennan today...he's already 8 months old. He's such a sweet boy. He was just babbling away, trying to keep himself awake. It was the sweetest sound coming from him. So peaceful, so calm, not a worry in the world. He feels safe and secure. That's what I'm getting to do. Provide a safe, secure, comforting, nurturing environment for my kids.

During my internship at Chi Alpha, we did affirmations through collages. We would go through magazines and pick out pictures for the other girls in our resource group of what made us think about them. Two of the girls had pictures of things that were comforting/nurturing for my collage. It was something that they noticed in me. It is a gift from God that I am now getting to share with my children.

It doesn't feel glamorous on a daily basis though. And I don't always feel successful in that gifting. But I keep pressing on. I want my children to grow up knowing that their home is a safe place for them where their parents love each other and them.
That's what my full-time job is right now...and let me tell you, it's a challenging job! And right now, our life looks so different than it will in 10 years. But this time is the foundation for what those years will look like.

2 comments:

  1. It's all worth it, lady and pretty much the best job in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel the same way... nice to know i'm not alone....

    ReplyDelete