Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Latham Shrimp Boil in Buras

I decided to spend the week in Buras.

My cousin Lydia has been wanting to boil something for a while now, according to my parents, and she took my visit as the perfect excuse for a boil.


So, my dad made a phone call, and within hours had a friend bringing him enough shrimp to boil for our Latham family...my Aunt Rhonda and Lydia were going to get everything else that goes with a boil - corn on the cob, sausage, potatoes, onions, garlic, mushrooms. My dad already had a stash of turkey necks to add to it.


My family has even done more, like hotdogs, broccoli and cauliflower, but this was a simple boil.

I love that this is not out of the ordinary for my family...that Bella will grow up familiar with living off the land with fish and shrimp, and even produce as we will reap the benefits of my parents' garden, and hopefully we'll have a garden of our own one day.

It's a good time when our family is together. We sit on my parents' huge porch and just relax, enjoying the food and the companionship. My family is full of hilarious people, which is why Lee fits in so well.

I am proud to be a Latham. I am proud that I grew up in Buras. And I am happy that I can return there with my children and share with them the beautiful place that I call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment