Thursday, January 20, 2011

End of an Era



Lee's parents are officially on their way out of Louisiana. They are finishing up the week here, and then they will begin working together at SAGU in Texas. They were at our house for dinner last night, and when they left, there was a tangible void in the room. Lee and I didn't really talk about it...we didn't have to. Honestly, I don't think we could talk about it...

I knew it was going to be hard to adjust to. I knew that there would be a noticeable difference with them gone. We don't see them all the time, but they are not just an hour and a half away anymore. It's not a get-a-way for us. It's more like 6 hours. And they don't have as much flexibility in their schedules now. So, we will usually only be able to see them on the weekends. And weekends aren't really open for us because of our schedule. It's just tougher than I thought it would be...They have been a source of encouragement in the times when we've needed it most. They've been wonderful babysitters who have helped me be a part of the Chi Alpha world. And now that has changed.

I know that they are excited about their jobs. We are excited for them, too. They have a beautiful new home where the whole family will fit when we are able to visit. It's going to be fun being together. They are close to the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and will have a ton of fun exploring. They are surrounded by wonderful people who will love them and enjoy them. They will get to pour into young people's lives - a crazy comparison to a full-time, semester long Young Minister's Institute (YMI), which is something that I hope those young people cherish...I hope they know how blessed they are to have the Blakneys in their world.

Change has never been easy for me. I'm thankful for the impact that they have made on my life. I'm a better person because of what they've poured into me over the past 15+ years. I'm so thankful for the man they have raised...my husband is a wonderful man with godly examples to follow. I'm thankful for skype and cell phones...and knowing that they will be there for us whenever we may need them.

This is definitely the end of an era in Louisiana...but it's the beginning of a new adventure. A bittersweet time for our Blakney household.

No comments:

Post a Comment