Thursday, September 20, 2012

You Need Your Church & Your Church Needs You


Highlands Ranch, Colorado, is an interesting area to start a church.

If we were in Louisiana, people would at least fake being excited for us. "Oh that's great..." and then engage in conversation about who they know in the area who needs to go to church...

But here, it's different. 

I handed a girl an invite card today at a local store. 

She looked at it over and said, "What kind of church is this? Catholic, methodist..." It seemed like whatever I said, she wasn't interested. 

The other girl said, "Oh, do you have like youth group stuff? My mom is looking for something for my younger sister..." 

No promises or even fake promises to be there or check it out...nothing. 

But, I feel like I've done my part. I invited them. They wouldn't know about it if I hadn't invited them. And who knows...someone else from our church may invite them too. 

And they may not come this Sunday...but they may come next Sunday. 

I'll never know...but I did my part. 

I read an interesting blog post by a girl named Jennifer. 

She's a college student, and I started following her blog because she posted some stuff about graphic design and etsy shops...and to tell you the truth, graphic designing has been one of the most frustrating parts of my life lately!! 

I just wish that I knew what I was doing in that area...but since I don't...I rely on people like Jennifer to help me out :) 

Anyways, she wrote a blog about finding a church closer to the school she's attending. She listed the things that she is looking for in a church. (You can read her great blog by clicking here


It intrigued me so much...and I actually find myself reading over it again and again. 

I have actually been emailing with her...kinda interviewing her...asking her specifics...

And she's kindly responded with more details about what she's liked...and what she hasn't liked about churches she's been to. 

(and also giving me a few pointers about my blog and email setup, which is always much appreciated!!)

What I've taken away from it is that she wants to feel like a person. She wants to be greeted by name. She wants to have the opportunity to build relationships with others and journey with them as they all grow in their faith together.

I grew up going to church. I was involved in almost every ministry there - it was a small church and mostly made up of my family. I was helping teach children's church at the age of 11. 

When I went to college, I was fascinated by the big churches in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Fascinated. 

And I was ok with just attending. I helped occassionally, but I was so involved in college I didn't feel the need to be involved in a church...

Getting to church right on time, sitting in a chair, not really talking to anyone, and leaving as soon as the service was over. 

Only once did I have an usher tell me that he had noticed I hadn't been there for a couple of weeks. It was during a holiday time or I was skipping or something...

My roommate went to smaller churches and played piano for them. Even on Wednesday nights. I don't know if I was burnt out by the time I got to college...but now, I feel like I missed some opportunities to be involved...opportunities to use my talents. 

I'm glad that there are people like Jennifer who know what they are looking for in a church...and they are willing to commit once they find it.

I know it's ok to visit different churches, but it's important to commit once you found one that fits you...and you find that it needs you just as much as you need it. 

Eli Gautreaux says that you should marry your church...for better or for worse, in good times and in bad...stick with it. Your church needs you just as much as you need it!! 



2 comments:

  1. I have found the hardest thing to find in churches today is "Sunday School". I know it seems old fashion but I feel that is where connections with your church body is made and where you get to know them. So much of our personal stories come out during studies of the Bible. Just sharing something I miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for sharing Jennifer!!! I appreciate it! I understand missing that setting...
      We are going to be doing small groups starting in January, and there will be Bible studies happening then!

      I don't know if you are interested in doing something a little different for now...but we could start reading a book of the Bible or another devotional/inspiring Bible study book together and discuss it over facebook or email! :)

      Delete