Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I'm Where I Belong...

soooo much going on right now...

and I feel like I'm split in 2 places at once.

First, my dad's younger brother, Chuck, passed away. Uncle Chuck's wife just passed away within the past year or so...and it's just getting harder and harder on my dad. He's lost 2 of his younger siblings now. It makes my heart hurt. I love my dad's family so much. Although I may not have seen them as often as we'd like, there's nothing like a room full of Lathams to make you laugh. They are quite a bunch...it's hard to say goodbye to another one of those special family members.

Then Hurricane Issac is hitting my hometown of Buras. My parents decided to stay. We've weathered storms before. Some have turned into a hurricane right before hitting landfall...just a lot of wind and rain. Not too much flooding. But, I know that they are already without electricity...and it just gets scary knowing that they are down there. They aren't alone...my dad's older brother, Uncle Max, built a fortress of a house...and it's not quite complete yet, but it's a safe place really, really high in the air if they need to go there.

So, all that is happening back in Louisiana. My family that I love is there with wind and rain and hurting hearts...and here I am in sunny Colorado.

And as much as I am praying for them (and feeling helpless)...I have things to do here. I have 2 rambunctious kids to take care of...plus a church that is getting ready to start...and I have some responsibilities to make sure happen for that. We didn't move 1400 miles from home just to sit back and watch one person do all of the work.

I don't feel overwhelmed with the work I've been assigned or have taken on, but I have to make sure that it happens.

And even in the midst of it all, I still get reminded of things from home.

Today, as Amy & I were finishing up an early morning of Connection Church office supply and nursery shopping, we decided to grab a quick bite to eat. (It was an early morning for both of us...)
As an older gentleman and his wife were leaving the restaurant, he called out to the owner, "Keep the faith..." It took everything in me not to bust out crying...that's a phrase I've heard my dad say over and over and over for years...probably since I was a child.

I miss my family. I am sad that I'm not available to help them in this craziness.

But I know that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Lee & I are thriving in this new adventure. We are excited about all that God is doing in us and through us. Not every day is easy, and there are times when I get really sad about being so far from Louisiana. But I know that this is where I belong.

None of my feelings or emotions are catching God off guard. He can handle it all. I just have to trust Him...which I can do because I know I'm where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment