Thursday, March 8, 2012

I Could Never Do That

"I could never do that..."

I've been thinking about that phrase.

There are things that I say I could never do, but it's really because I don't want to do them...not that I'm unable to do them...

For example -

Skydiving. I have no desire to jump from a moving plane thousands of feet above the ground.

Bungee Jumping. Again, I have no desire to jump from a stationary platform thousands (or hundreds) of feet above the ground.

And I say that I could never do that, but I really mean that I don't want to.

Ever.

When we started Chi Alpha, we were told by friends that they admired us for doing it because they could never do that.

I gave up my job as a public school teacher to complete the Campus Missionary in Training internship with Lee. We did Chi Alpha together.

We lived on one salary...a very small salary. But we made it. And I think that was part of what people said they couldn't do...live on a little amount of money.

And God has blessed us so much since we've started.

And it never crossed our minds that this wasn't something that we could never do...

We were called to do it. We were chosen by God to do it. We wanted to do it.

Sometimes we take a leap of faith, and that is what other people admire. They want to take a leap of faith too, but they feel like they could never do that.

I've been reading Donald Miller's book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.

It's all about living a story worth telling. Living a life that is worthy of being told.

It really has been an inspiring book.

I don't want to live a mediocre life that won't be noticed once it's over.

I want to live a life that leaves a legacy.

And to do that, I have to do the things that I think I could never do...and hopefully inspire others to do the the things that they think they could never do.




No comments:

Post a Comment