Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Celebration of Discipline: Meditation Action Plan



The connotation for meditation for me (the picture that comes to mind when I think about that word) is more of an eastern religion picture. Someone sitting cross-legged on the floor, eyes closed, and even possibly humming softly.

And what's crazy is that there is a kids' movie that portrayed that form of meditation, and every once in a while, Bella will sit on the floor, cross-legged with her eyes closed, humming. No lie. It shocked me the first time she did it...and I'm being very careful of what I tell her about doing that...I want her to worship Jesus...and I'm not saying that this is not a way that glorifies Him...but it is not commonly done to glorify Jesus... Raising these kids is a whole different ballgame for me!!

Richard Foster addresses Christian meditation in this chapter of Celebration of Discipline. He says, "Christian meditation, very simply, is the ability to hear God's voice and obey his word." (pg. 17)

I want to hear God's voice. I can remember specific times in my life when I was desperate to hear from Him...and in those moments, I found myself being extra quiet so I could hear what He was speaking to me....and through me as well.

Now more than ever, my life is quite chaotic. My kids are awesome...they are pretty well behaved...but to find a quiet moment in this house...I cannot go to the bathroom without an interruption! And as much as I would love to wake up early, I'm not a morning person. At all. Mornings are so difficult for me. And I usually am woken up by a kid...and then by the time they go to bed at night, I'm so exhausted...

I find it difficult to make time for God. It's hard to read, pray, or think about anything holy without a constant interruption...either being asked something or having to break up a fight over a toy...

And honestly, God has given me a lot of grace for this season of life. I know that my kids will be in school before I know it...they won't need me as much as they need me now...and I want to enjoy every moment that I can!

So, God is graciously allowing me to grow with Him in the moments that I do have with Him.

Foster says, "We learn to meditate by meditating." (pg. 26)

It will not happen gloriously and regularly over night.

So here is my action plan:

I will spend 5 minutes 3 days a week meditating on how "the written Word becomes a living word addressed to you." (pg. 29)

I will do this by reading a parable or a few verses and "allow it to take root in you...Seek to live the experience...and to apply all our senses to our task." (pg. 29)

I will use my imagination to glorify God. I will imagine myself in the crowd when the woman was healed by touching the hem of Jesus' clothes...I will read Scripture and picture myself there or the Lord speaking it to me in person.

Foster encourages to find one place to practice meditation instead of constantly hunting for one. My ideal place to meditate would be in my favorite chair as I look out at the mountains...as you can see, we have a beautiful view!! I will try my hardest to make this work...and at the end of the month I'll let you know how it goes!!

In order to remember this, I will have a sticky note on the mirror in my bathroom with the 5 minutes/3 days a week. I may even give myself a gold star after completion :)

How can you incorporate Christian meditation into your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment