Thursday, February 21, 2013

Celebration of Discipline:: Meditation Results

I was supposed to write this blog post on Tuesday. That was the goal. But the past 2 weeks haven't gone like I thought they would.

But here it is now...the response to my action plan for meditation.

This was probably the hardest discipline for me to practice!!

With 3 small kids, I found it hard to make time for myself to plan a time to meditate on the Word of God in my chair like I wanted to.

I actually found that the best thinking and alone time I have is in the shower. And that doesn't always happen every day...yes, you may think it's gross that I don't take a shower every day...but I am just being honest.

But it was still hard to meditate even then because my mind was racing with a million things at once!!

I know that there are health benefits to meditation. And I know that I would greatly benefit from having 5 minutes to focus on the Lord...but making that time happen without interruption is quite difficult. By the end of the day I am totally drained. Totally.

So, a few ways that I know I can make this practice better in my life is this:

1. Stay off my iPhone at a certain time.

It has become an extension of my body at times. I'm constantly checking facebook, twitter, my email...playing games...if I would say that I couldn't have it with me for a certain time period when my kids are playing, I may be able to accomplish some quiet time and meditation.

2. Be proactive about my day.

Most of my day seems reactive to my kids. I sit down to read, and I suddenly smell that I need to change a dirty diaper. Or I get interrupted to fill a juice cup. Or to read a book to them...the list goes on and on...

But if I can be intentional...I can do this. And I know that there will be a time when I will have plenty of time for meditation but wish that I had the small interruptions all day long!!!

Now, I will read the chapter of Celebration of Discipline on Prayer. I will write my action plan on Tuesday!!! It's not too late for you join with me on this journey!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment