Sunday, January 25, 2015

You matter....



I've heard it said for years...

"Don't compare yourself to others."

"Comparison is the thief of joy." Theodore Roosevelt 

And yet I STILL DO IT!

haha...

It's amazing how I can let my own thoughts of comparison ruin my own day!

No one is forcing me to compare myself to others.

No one is making me think those thoughts.

I do it to myself.

I let discontentment get in the way.

I am essentially saying "They have it better than I do...what I have or where I am or what I am doing is not good enough."

And that is a load of baloney.

I've written about contentment before. (You can read that post by clicking here!)

Being content with who I am is jeopardized when I compare myself to others. 

I went to a training in Denver recently, and I heard an amazing lady, Crystal Thurber, speak for one of the segments.

She held up yard sticks with names of the people who had also done trainings that day. She said how easy it would be to compare herself to those people, but she had to remember that she was called to be herself.

She said, "As long as someone else's name is on this yardstick, I will never measure up. I'm not them. I could only be the second best version of them. I will only measure up when I look at myself. I can only use the yardstick with my name on it."

After the meeting was over, I waited to talk with her...and let her know that I was going to go to Home Depot to get a yard stick of my own to write my name on it. Then I boldly asked her if I could have one of hers!!

She gladly gave me the one that said, "YOU MATTER!"

What a great trophy to take home from the day as a reminder!!

I matter. I don't need to compare myself to anyone else.

My story is my own. It's unique because it is me.

Lee and I often say we want to live a story worth telling...but not because we want our story repeated...but because we want to inspire others to live a greater story for themselves!




You matter. Quit comparing yourself to those around you. Instead, focus on the great things that make you who you are!


No comments:

Post a Comment