Saturday, January 12, 2013

Celebration of Discipline Challenge

The beginning of the year is a great time to begin working on self-improvement.

Sure, this can be done any time of the year, but in January, there is just a sense of a fresh start. A new beginning. An opportunity to do something within the 365 days that you didn't do for the last 365 days.

I've seen a lot of challenges, and I've decided to do one of my own.

One of my favorite, life-changing books is Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. It's a phenomenal book...and honestly, it's not best to read this one all in one sitting...just going from cover to cover.

This is a book that should be contemplated...and practiced.

The Diversity Project for Chi Alpha Missionaries in Training in Louisiana does this study every year for the interns. I had the privilege of teaching it for a few years...and now I am taking this study on for myself again.

The book focuses on 12 spiritual disciplines...it is not an exhaustive list or the only spiritual disciplines to work on, but these are the 12 that Richard Foster chose...4 are inward disciplines: meditation, prayer, fasting, study; 4 are outward disciplines: simplicity, solitude, submission, service; and the last 4 are corporate disciplines: confession, worship, guidance, celebration.

So, this challenge will go from February 2013 to February 2014.

I will read one chapter, and then on the first Tuesday of the month I will write an "action plan" of what I plan to do to incorporate that discipline into my life. And then on the last Tuesday of the month I will write how I feel like I did.

I cannot emphasize this enough...this was a life-changing experience for both Lee & me...and I am believing for great things again!!

Now, this doesn't mean that I will give up on or only focus on this one discipline within the month...but I'm going to be extra intentional about it.

Doing this is a step that I'm taking to accomplish the goal of growing in my relationship with God.

I would love for you to take this challenge with me! You can buy the book from amazon by clicking here. It's also available on the kindle.

I'm also available to holding each other accountable through email or Facebook!! We are stronger when we grow together!!

This is a great spiritual investment...and by next year, I know I will be closer to God. That is my goal!!

Please let me know if you are interested in being a part of this challenge by leaving a comment!! Of if you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you!

Let's grow together in 2013!!

No comments:

Post a Comment