Friday, July 1, 2011

Friend from a Hashtag

I made a new friend through social media. It amazes me how God can use social media to bring people together.


I woke up at 4 am and I couldn't get back to sleep. Part of it was due to realizing I was sore from my new workout video 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. It's is way more intense than I like my workouts to be, but it is short enough and segmented into 3 different sections that I can handle it. And I'm seeing results.

Anyways, I have used a hashtag (#) on twitter to make a statement- it would look like this #30dayshred - and when you are on twitter, these hashtags are highlighted, and you can click on them or search them to see how many other people are using the same hashtags. Twitter even has top words/phrases that are trending locally or worldwide.

So, at 4 am, I looked to see who else besides me had used the hashtag #30dayshred.

I found a lot of women who seemed to be in the same boat as me. Moms trying to loose weight. Women who didn't have a lot of time. And this workout was killing them just as much as it was killing me.

I was intrigued by one lady's twitter id. It was Kelly_NoahsArk. So, I searched her. I saw that she is also a Christ follower, and she's also a blogger.

So, I read her blog. It was odd for me...I felt so connected to this woman I had never met. She wrote in a similar style to mine. She has a 3 year old girl. She's experienced loss and pain - not the same as my own...her second child was stillborn, something I cannot relate to, but she was continuing to live after the loss...and be there for her family.

I felt I instantly found a friend. So, I emailed her, which is unlike me. I told her I was encouraged by her blog, and that it felt neat to know that we were in the same sisterhood of Christ.

She emailed me back. She was also encouraged, and she thought it funny on God's part to bring two women together through a twitter hashtag about a workout video.

God is in the little details of life. I may never meet this woman face to face on earth, but I can read her blog and know that I'm not alone in the craziness of being a mom of 2 young children. And because we both have made decisions to follow Christ, we will be friends for eternity.

That's just awesome to me.

If you want to check out my new friend Kelly's blog, click on this link:
http://www.findingfaithandjoy.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment