Sunday, December 12, 2010

Saying "No"

The word "No" is often a hard word for people to say (and to hear as well). There's pressure to not let someone down, or hurt someone's feelings, or disappoint someone...People just don't like saying "No." It's hard as a parent, too. Sometimes I feel like all I say is, "No, Bella." And I know it will be "No, Brennan," before long. Lee once said, "Maybe we should just let her keep talking because it seems like all we do is tell her 'No.'"

Being a stay-at-home mom has taught me to say "No," but in a different way. It's saying no to opportunities that come to me or things that I may want to do, but it's just not the right time for me. Pete Bullette encouraged me with this, "Bri, you and Lee have 20+ years of ministry together ahead of you, but it's just not right now. Enjoy your kids." That has been such a relief to me. I know that it is true. Right now my little babies need me more than they ever will in their lives. I want to enjoy fulfilling that role because no one else can do it like I can. Amanda Gravely also encouraged me by saying that there will always be people who need to be ministered to, but right now is the time to enjoy being with my babies.

I'm thankful that there are people in my life who encourage me where I am at. There are so many emotions that a woman with small children goes through about life...throw in being a wife and a minister and it gets even crazier! But, as I've said before, I am completely embracing this season. Pretty soon I will be forced out of this season and into the next. I'll have multiple opportunities to say "yes" to all kinds of things in the future, but as for right now, I'll settle for saying "no" to be able to enjoy the life that I'm living.

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel you on this one, girl! This season is just as season and will all too quickly be over. Embrace it while it's here! Thanks for being transparent!

    ReplyDelete