Monday, June 4, 2012

Our Last Week of Louisiana Celebrations

It was a full week of celebrations.

On Friday we had dinner with friends...our final "supper club" meeting here in Lafayette...We had some great laughs...I laughed so hard that I cried. It was definitely what I needed. I've come to enjoy that group of friends and their company. And I was happy that we were able to eat with a few of them again! :) 

We did amazingly well on our yard sale...we made a lot of money and we got rid of a lot of stuff!! It felt so good getting rid of it as well as getting a little money for it. It's not something that I want to do all of the time, but it's definitely something that I will do again!! Probably on a smaller scale though. And believe it or not, we are still getting rid of stuff as we go through it to pack up. I definitely want to move with less than what we've got now. 

On Tuesday we loaded up our living room and dining room furniture as well as our washer & dryer in a trailer for my cousins who bought it all from us. It is weird having an empty house, but it's exciting knowing that we will get to pick out new (or new to us) things once we get up to Colorado. And again, it's less stuff we have to fit in a moving trailer. 

That same Tuesday we went to my parents house in Buras. When we got there, my dad had already set up and was about to start our shrimp boil. The Lathams and a few other guests came over to eat with us...and it really was a celebration. It's something that I love about my family. They know how to do it big. It's a blessing to have grown up in that kind of environment.


It was hard leaving Buras on Wednesday...one of those things you just don't want to do. And I shed a few tears in the car...it's just hard leaving. With a newborn coming in November, I know it will be a while before I make it down there again. I'm so thankful for Skype that I get to see my parents faces when we talk to them now. My kids get really excited...and they look forward to talking on the computer. 

We went to church on Wednesday night and then out to eat with friends afterwards. My kids were a little dunzo from the long day of traveling. But was still good to spend time with those friends. 

On Thursday night we had dinner with the Chi Alpha staff. (I'm noticing more and more that our celebrations revolved around food!!) This was a fun, relaxing night. We've enjoyed being a part of the UL Chi Alpha family...and honestly, this community is just as hard to be away from as our families. 
They believe in us and what we are doing...and that means so much...and they are sad to let us go. 

I didn't think my last Chi Alpha event would be a wedding...and I didn't think it would be as emotional as it was for me. Tony and Lindsay (Mula) Jones were married on Saturday. So, we were in Thibodaux for the rehearsal on Friday night since Lee was performing part of the ceremony and Bella was the flowergirl. Tony & Lindsay are super special to our family. Lee often says that Tony is the reason that he did Chi Alpha. I've known Lindsay for 9 years. She was one of the first people who Bella would stay with as a baby...and we were able to have date nights because of her. :) 


It didn't hit me until we were about to leave the reception. It had been a beautiful wedding ceremony and a wonderful celebration at their reception. I loved every second of it. When Lindsay asked us if we were leaving, she started crying because she said, "I just realized that I won't see ya'll again..." 

Then the hugs started with the other Chi Alpha staff and students who were there...the ones who I won't see for a long time most likely...and my heart broke all over again. I couldn't hold back the tears that were flowing. I hugged Lance Dunn for a long time. He thanked me for letting my husband spend so much time with him and the guys...The hugs and tears continued even as I was walking out the door. 

I know that we will be a part of a wonderful community when we get to Colorado. And I know that so much of what we bring to the community will be from what we've gained over the last  5 years in Lafayette. There is something so special about our Chi Alpha family here at UL. 

Sunday was our last time to go to church at Crossroads here in Lafayette. We were so encouraged by the people who were stopping us to tell us they were praying for us...that they are excited for us...that they love us. We are so thrilled to be a part of Crossroads Connection Church in Denver. It's going to be an amazing adventure for our family...

As we continue to pack up our house and belongings, our hearts are filled with love, excitement, and peace that God is with us. He is leading us and guiding us. It would be easy to stay in the comfort here, but there is something waiting for us...something God has called us to do, and we have answered. 

On Friday we are heading up to Colorado...

No comments:

Post a Comment